Wednesday, November 2, 2011

CVS 101

Finally, I am posting instructions on how I shop at CVS!

If you have any questions, let me know.


I'm going to try and make this simple. I have a tendency to ramble! 

Go to CVS and pick up a red CVS 'rewards' card at the counter. 

Go to www.cvs.com and register your card-- sign up for email alerts. You will not be bombarded w CVS spam. You will only get occasional coupons-- most often it is $5 off of a $25 purchase or 25% off a nonsale item-- things like that. You need to also LIKE CVS on FB, CVS Express Photo, CVS Beauty Club and CVS Minuteclinic on FB. 

Every time you go to CVS- have your card! They can look it up by your phone number BUT you want to make sure that you have your card so that the first thing you do when you walk in is go to the BIG RED coupon machine (it is also a price scanner)-- you can scan your card once a day. This machine will spit out anywhere from 1-5 coupons. Sometimes they are useless but often times i think your CVS card tracks your purchases so it spits out coupons that it thinks you will benefit from. The last 3 or so times I've been, I've gotten $3 off $10 baby product purchases. Once again-- that $3 adds up! Remember these coupons are linked to your card so you cannot share these coupons. If you don't want them you trash them. You don't have to use them the day you receive them but they do have expiration dates on them. 

On the CVS.com page-- there is a coupon section. Most of these are CVS coupons- which can be used w a manufactured coupon. For example, CVS had a CVS coupon that I printed that was $3 off of Huggies. I also had a manufacturer coupon (a non STORE coupon -like one you get out of the paper or in the mail) that was $3 off--- so i used both on 1 pack of diapers and got $6 off a pack of diapers. 

Be smart w how you shop at CVS! CVS can be expensive if you don't shop  right. I rarely EVER buy anything from CVS w/o a coupon or unless they are offering ECB (extra care bucks)! 

Extra Care Bucks: These are CVS dollars that can be used on later CVS purchases. They do expire!!!! 

Extra Care Bucks (ECB) scenario example:

this week---

Schick Hydro 5 Razor
$8.29
$5.00 (internet coupon that printed last week)
______
$3.29 paid out of pocket

HOWEVER, when I was given my receipt... at the bottom there were $3.00 in ECB's to use on my next purchase! (There was also a $3 off of $15 baby product purchase coupon)

You can either use these $3 the next time you come back to CVS b4 they expire OR do a second transaction. I do 2-3 transactions ALL the time at CVS--- the employees are used to people like me! 

You can get so many good deals at CVS w the ECB's that they offer. For example-- last year I bought some Nivea Body Wash. The body wash for $4.99. W the purchase of this body wash, CVS was offering $4.99 in ECB'S! Here is how it worked:

Body Wash

$4.99
- $2.00 Nivea Coupon
_______________
$2.99 paid out of pocket and CVS gave me back $4.99 BACK in ECB's for my next purchase!

So basically it was a $ maker! They paid me to take it. Even tho you have to pay upfront to get started--- you are getting money back to use for other items. 

Last--- remember--- totals are taken b4 coupons. This means.. if you get a coupon that reads $3 off of $10 baby purchase and you have a $2 off huggie coupon and a $1 off wipes coupons--always give the CVS cashier the $3 off of $10 coupon first. 

*Just remember to get started with CVS, you will need to spend a little bit of money, but once you begin to accrue coupons and ECB, you will then begin to see some awesome deals! 

I - personally like to take advantage of the 'Spend $30 (on certain products) and get $10 back in ECB'. With these deals I normally do not have to spend $30 out of pocket because I match store coupons along with manufacturer coupons. 

Once you get started with CVS, after a few visits you will begin to understand it better. 

Never hesitate to ask any questions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment