Saturday, October 22, 2011

How to Make Fresh Baby Food

I fell in love with the concept of making my own fresh baby food when I took care of kids in my home and a mom, Reagan (aka Colin's mom), would always pack his lunch with fresh baby food (no jars of baby food). At first I was a little skeptic, but once she explained to me how fresh it was, how easy it was to make and how much cheaper it was I thought I would try it on the other daycare kids.

I LOVED it and the babies LOVED it and it was not only fun to make but it was fresh and so much cheaper! I vowed to make fresh baby food for LIFE and to spread the word about the greatness of it.

Fresh baby food is so simple to make and it takes very little time! If you have time to  make yourself food then you have time to make your baby food. Below are simple instructions on how to make fresh veggies, I chose spinach:

You can either use frozen veggies or you can buy from the produce section. I purchased mine from the frozen section.


Market Fresh frozen spinach- estimated cost $.75 (had a b3g1 free coupon)



Follow package instructions.


Once cooked- pour entire pot into a blender.


Blend to make mushy so baby can swallow. 


Pour into trays. I received this nifty tray from a friend, Michelle, however if you don't have a nifty tray you can easily use ice trays! 


Whatever you use to pour your food into, make sure to cover it with foil or the lid.
Place into freezer until frozen. 


Once frozen you can either keep the veggie cubes in the trays or transfer to a ziplock bag and place back into the freezer. 


YUM! 

Get creative- Often times when I make spinach or sweet potatoes or carrots I like to throw in a banana or an apple into the blender to sweeten it up! As the baby gets bigger, cook noodles and throw those into the blender also w a dash of cheese. 

When you are making fruit- it is the same concept - however after you clean your fruit, place the fruit into the blender and add a splash of juice (any type) and blend.

If you find that your fruit or veggies are too 'runny'- add some baby cereal or baby oatmeal to thicken up the food.

This particular bag made 8 servings for under 10 cents each! 

Much cheaper, much healthier, and fun to get creative! 

No comments:

Post a Comment