Thursday, October 20, 2011

Simple Tips on How to Save When You Have a Baby

I've had 3 babies and when I had the third baby I finally figured out smart/ common sense ways on how to save money w baby purchases.

Below are some tips- feel free to share more tips you may have that I don't touch on  and feel free to ask questions.

Diapers (aka poopy catchers): Unless your child has allergic reactions to certain brands of diapers, try not to stick with one diaper brand. I am lucky that my child has no allergic reaction so she is able to wear any diaper brand that I find the best deal for. After taking care of kids in my home, I began to realize that ALL diapers (at least during the day) are all equally good pee pee and poopy catchers. From the store brand to Huggies or Pampers, they all work and each have deals that can save you money throughout the year.

With that said, now you need to hunt for the deals. Remember the 'extra' email address I suggested that you create.... now is the time to use it. Visit and register with all the diaper websites such as www.huggies.com or www.pampers.com. Often times when you register your email address and home address you will be sent coupons and diaper samples! Remember along with samples, normally come high value coupons.

www.walmart.com has a link to a variety of samples, often times they have diaper samples- go take a look.

Remember: use your coupons... if you have a store coupon - try to find a manufacturer coupon so you can use both on one purchase. Try to use these coupons when the store is having a diaper sale. I buy most of my diapers at CVS (we will talk CVS 101 soon). Amazingly, I think they have the best diaper deals.

If you have a friend that clips coupons, but does not have any diaper wearing babies, ask them if they will hold back any diaper coupons that they may come across.

Keep in mind- If the store brand diapers are cheaper than the name brand diapers even after coupons and specials- buy them instead of the name brand. I've used Target, Walgreens, CVS, and Albertsons store brand diapers and they work great!

Formula: Unless you are breastfeeding and you have absolutely no need for formula or unless your baby has special formula needs, read and learn!

All three of my babies were formula babies. Unfortunately, I did not realize that formula is formula. Name brand is the same as store brand EXCEPT FOR THE PRICE!!! Look at the store brand formula and do as it says on the package 'compare to... Enfamil' or 'compare to Similac'. You'll be amazed- they are the same but the store brand price is much less.

Before you have a baby or soon after you have had a baby, sign up and register for  the 'baby clubs'. I call them 'baby clubs' because I don't know what else to call them. Sign up with Enfamil (www.enfamil.com), Similac (www.similac.com), Gerber (www.gerber.com) and any other name brand formula you can think of.. Parents Choice is another one. When you sign up with these companies, you will begin to receive samples and valuable coupons! Similac will send you two nice size jars of formula and will continue to send you Similac checks in $5 increments. With these $5 checks you can score FREE Similac formula. I always use the $5 checks for the 'already mixed' formula that normally costs anywhere from $5 to $6. When I first signed up with Enfamil I did not receive any samples but I did email them directly and ask them which formula they suggested since my daughter was having constipation issues. Two weeks later I received a small sample of formula along with a coupon. Only use the coupons (checks) if you can match them with good deals.

Sams Club and Costco (more so Sams since they have a better variety) have the best store brand deal that I have ever found. I am not sure the ounces but the jar is huge and sales for about $20!

Clothes: Having a baby is fun and exciting and often times we get carried away with shopping for baby clothes! My two pieces of advice in this category is BE CAREFUL AND SLOW DOWN. In my opinion, baby resell shops are not always a good bargain- shop around. Often times stores will have better deals- such as Childrens Place or Old Navy. In addition, you can normally find an Old Navy coupon in their flier or at times on their FB page. You can also sign up at www.childrensplace.com and register your child's information and you will receive a % coupon off around your child's birthday as well as throughout the year.

Slow down....... shop as you need baby clothes. This is hard for many of us, especially if you have girls but if you want to save money this is what you  need to do! Most often, infants wear onesies and sleep in sweet peas or footy pj's; there is no need to buy a massive amount of these. Buy your child 2-3 nice outfits, for church etc.... Most often, moms will buy so many clothes that the baby will  never wear them and all that money is wasted.

Baby Food: Instead of buying jar baby food, I save money by making my baby her food. This is so simple and it is fun and in my opinion is healthier. In the next day or two I will blog on how to do this. It is worth doing and it saves so much money!

No comments:

Post a Comment