Monday, October 24, 2011

To Complain or Not to Complain- That is the Question!?

I've worked in Customer Service all of my life- it is one of the hardest jobs that a person can have. Not only are you being critiqued when you service your customer but so is the company that you are working for. You are the face of their company.

Often times, customers will only let companies know when they've received a negative experience versus a positive experience. I believe that it is important for companies to be notified of both positive and negative experiences and possibly even ways they can improve their stores.

One of  my favorite shows that I have just started to watch is called 'Undercover Boss'. CEO's from a variety of different companies pose as undercover potential new employees so that they can get an inside look on how well their company is being run and how the employees and customers are treated. With this said, I think that it is important that we (customers) take the time to tell companies how they are doing- be it bad or be it good.

I think that it is so important to contact a company (I like to go to their website and send them an email) when you've received great customer service; from any type of facility (department store, restaurant, fast food facility, etc.). If you've noticed an improvement on how a company manages or how a company has improved in any way, take the time to let them know.

Two weeks ago, we ate at Red Robin on a Friday night. It was extremely crowded, however we received excellent service from management and from our waitress. After I got home, I made sure to take my receipt out, go to the Red Robin website and put in a compliment towards the facility and to the waitress. I was later notified that my compliment was forwarded to the actual facility. I like taking the time out to do this because as I stated earlier, Customer Service jobs are tough and it makes for an amazing day to receive a compliment/ pat on the back.

On the flip side, if you've received poor service, I think it is important that you notify the company as well. When I say 'poor service', I mean really really bad service that puts a bad taste in your mouth. For example, on my birthday we went to IHOP for breakfast. It was packed and it was obvious that the staff could not handle the crowd, however it was more obvious that the manager could not handle her staff and could not handle the crowd. It was the worse experience that I've ever had at a dining facility. I knew that I was not overreacting because my husband- who rarely complains- told me his dissatisfactions also. When I got home, I visited the IHOP website, clicked on the customer service tab and explained what had happened. Within 24 hours I received an apology email and within 1 week I received coupons for 5 or 6 free meals. This made me very happy because my experience did deserve free meals. Keep in mind, when I put in complaints, my goal is to not receive free food coupons, but to let the company know what has happened so the management can fix the problem. When I do receive free food coupons, don't get me wrong, I do take the time to do a HAPPY DANCE!

Don't forget, provide feedback for the service you received not only from restaurants but from hospitals care, department stores, gas stations, hotel stays, theme parks etc..

Let me know what happens.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment